At ilke Homes we are putting safety at the heart of all we do. We believe that everyone deserves to work in a safe environment and is supported by our systems to meet our customers’ quality expectations. We are not an organisation that is driven by badges and certificates, instead we believe in putting in place the appropriate systems to ensure we safely produce quality homes on time and to standard.
As our HSE Advisor you have a pivotal role to play in the development and growth of our business and its culture. You will work with the construction site management teams and various disciplines across the business including technical, manufacturing and land.
This is a challenging role, we are a business with huge ambition, well backed, with an energetic and growing team. You will relish the opportunity to shape the safety culture of our business without the burden of existing practices and tradition. You are a self-starter, who can think on their own two feet and who can imagine and realise the best possible safety and quality outcomes for our people and our business.
You will work closely with various departments to ensure the wellbeing of our people is considered, devising and implementing strategies that go beyond the typical access to help lines and stretch into the impact our activities have on our people’s overall wellbeing.
- Maintain a dynamic and driven approach to promoting and supporting H&S across the group and the division/s within own remit. Be an ambassador for H&S and promote “out of the box” thinking which enables solutions to problems to be identified and implemented effectively within the business/division you support.
- Facilitate the implementation of policies and procedures which help reduce risk and support a positive H&S culture.
- Support and work closely with the various internal customers and external stakeholders and clients in relation to planning, reviewing and achieving H&S objectives and targets as well as promote continuous improvement and development throughout.
- Support the divisions in measuring and monitoring performance against the Group and Divisional H&S plans.
- Undertake visits and inspections of operational work areas to monitor performance and feedback results along with advice and solutions for any non-conformances identified.
- Develop and promote positive working relations with all key customers, clients and stakeholders
- Assist management & supervisory teams with both preparing RAMS, CDM documentation (PCI and CPP) and briefing workers and ensure that they are reviewed and updated at regular intervals.
- Support management teams with pre-start workshops so as to ensure that the works are planned and will be executed safely prior to commencing on site.
- Where working practices pose a significant risk to health, safety or the environment ensure that the unsafe operation is stopped and inform senior operational management immediately.
- Ensure appropriate support, advice and assistance is offered at all times and work with the site management teams within own remit to ensure that any necessary remedial actions are implemented effectively and timely.
- Promptly investigate all health, safety and environmental incidents as required by company policies, in accordance with company guidance and timescales. Make known to all relevant parties any significant findings/recommendations and ensure lessons learnt/alerts are captured, developed and communicated effectively throughout the business.
- Assist senior management in closing out all incident investigations promptly and completely and work closely with such people to ensure all investigation recommendations are implemented.
- Monitor the business within own remit and work with them where appropriate to ensure that all staff, including office-based personnel, receive appropriate H&S training and information.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all relevant H&S standards, policies, procedures and guidance to a level which will allow you to guide and support your customers in their effective implementation.
- To be individually responsible for professional and personal development.
- Develop and deliver suitable training courses for staff to ensure we remain compliant with current legislation and industry best practice.
Qualifications & Training:
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate or equivalent – minimum requirement
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent – advantageous
- Relevant professional membership (IOSH)
- Experience in a similar role in either housebuilding or construction
- Auditing to standards – ISO, NHBC, BOPAS all advantageous
- Experience of cultural and behavioural safety programs
- Experience of developing and presenting in both meetings and training sessions
- Key operational areas – mobile crane lifting operations and scaffolding / working at height operations.
Qualities & Attitude
- People focused, capable of building relationships with people at all levels
- Skilled influencer, demonstrating ability to help others to change
- Excellent communication, motivational, persuasion and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a high workload and prioritise effectively
- Flexible, able to adapt to meet business needs and to work effectively with a range of people
- Self-motivated, able to work with limited direction and under own initiative
- Ability to work well within a team
- Able and willing to learn new skills
- Willingness to travel, including overnight stays if and when required by the role/business