Working for an innovative and dynamic business, we have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced
Design Engineer with volumetric modular experience and ideally residential electrical or mechanical design
experience and a practical mindset.
Working as part of a multi-disciplined design team, under the leadership of the Head of M&E Design, the
M&E Design Engineer will perform a variety of design and drafting activities, including preparing and
updating the product 3D models, preparing assembly and manufacturing drawings in an appropriate 2D
format, maintaining part and component hierarchies, to maximise the flexibility of the design and to deal
effectively with the increasing requirement for product variety and variations.
The M&E Design Engineer will ensure the requirements of the concept design and co-ordinated model are
met and that the products, components and parts designed in the manufacturing design model and
drawings meet the design requirements and are understood by the production team to enable efficient
manufacturing and assembly.
The M&E Design Engineer will also play a pivotal role in the Engineering Change Request system, as the
product design evolves, maintaining the physical and digital records of both the base designs, the variants
and the ‘as built’ records.
- Under the guidance of the Head of M&E Design, liaise with internal and external customers, statutory
bodies and design consultants to ensure smooth delivery of the project through to the final stages of
design and manufacture.
- Assist on the new product design process to control and interrogate the activities of external design
consultants and internal design team members.
- Providing expert technical advice, maintaining consistent link to the factory teams, end users, clients
and statutory bodies.
- Identify and manage risks identifying design solutions to eliminate, reduce or control risks during the
assembly and delivery o the product.
- Participate actively in design team meetings.
- Comply with the processes stipulated under the company’s Quality Assurance Processes, liaising
positively with all relevant bodies as required.
- Work with internal and external designers to discharge any conditions or approvals.
- Provide information and support to achieve/maintain NHBC, NICEIC, Gas Safe Registration, or other
accreditation scheme compliance.
- Liaise with a variety of specialist subcontractors.
- Where required, manage a small team of Design Technicians.
- Ensure that projects are delivered in accordance with ilke Homes BIM Protocols
- To work in a safe and sensible manner within the boundaries of the Company Health and Safety Policy
and any additional site restrictions.
Qualifications & Training:
- A good degree in a Building Services Engineer or equivalent
- Preferably a full Member of a relevant Chartered industry body
- Relevant demonstrable industry experience
- Extensive experience in domestic building services, with a specialism in electrical systems
- Preferable experience in offsite product manufacture with specific knowledge of new product design
- Experience of the design and implementation of renewable technologies
- Detailed knowledge of relevant Building Regulations.
- Working knowledge of CDM Regulations.
- High level of proficiency drafting in Revit and a working knowledge of other AutoDesk products
Experience within Offsite and Modern Methods of Construction.
Qualities & Attitude:
- Positive, self-motivated, and able to work effectively without close supervision.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- With the ability to co-ordinate and contribute as part of a multi-functional team, respecting alternative
professional skills and opinions.
- Skilled in the use of IT equipment and common office products such as the Microsoft Office suite and
- Flexible to embrace new tasks and working practices as required to fulfil the role.
- Open to operating effectively and efficiently in a variety of environments, including factory, site or